Best Medicare Advantage Plans in Michigan for 2020
If you’re going to be eligible for Medicare soon or if you have recently enrolled in Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B, you are missing out if you haven’t yet done some research on some of the best Medicare Advantage plans in Michigan for 2020. Many people find that it is a mistake to rely on Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B) alone since they can end up with so many copayments (copays), deductibles and coinsurances. Luckily, Medicare Advantage plans in Michigan offer a great replacement.
You can find out more about Medicare Advantage plans and their benefits here on our site. Then, one of our licensed insurance agents can help you find and compare policies from the best insurance companies with top star ratings so that you can find the best one for you.
Overview of Medicare Advantage Plans in Michigan for 2020
If you decide to sign up for a Medicare Advantage plan, you will no longer use your Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B) coverage. Instead, you’ll just use your insurance card for your Medicare Advantage plan, whether you have an HMO, HMO-POS, PPO or another type of policy.
To participate in the Original Medicare program, private insurance companies that offer Medicare Advantage plans in Michigan must follow certain guidelines and provide certain coverage for their customers. However, they have the freedom to offer additional benefits with their Advantage plan options, which is not the case with Medigap policies. Because of these added perks, it’s important to look into a complete description of benefits for each policy.
These policies are more similar to the health insurance policies that you might have had at other points throughout your life. Many people like the familiarity of these policies and the cost savings that they can enjoy. Plus, if you compare policies and look for the best one, you can enjoy other perks, too. For example, with some Medicare plans, your prescription drug coverage through a Medicare prescription drug plan is included. This is not the case with standard Medicare coverage or with any of the Medicare Supplement plans.
Best Medicare Advantage Plans in Michigan: When Can You Enroll?
If you don’t want to rely on Original Medicare and would like to purchase and enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan, you can do so during these Medicare Advantage Enrollment Periods:
- Medicare Initial Coverage Election Period ICEP: You’ll have an opportunity to sign up for a Medicare Advantage pan when you first become a beneficiary of Medicare Part A and Part B.
- Medicare Annual Election Period AEP: From October 15 to December 7 of each year, you can sign up for or change your Medicare Advantage policy or disenroll from the program entirely.
- Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period MADP: Now discontinued, this was once the period when you could disenroll from a Medicare Advantage plan and go back to Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B).
- Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period MA OEP: Starting in 2019, this period will run from January 1 to March 31st of every year. This is another time when you can sign up for an MA policy.
- Medicare Special Election Periods SEP: In some circumstances, you may need to shop for a Medicare Advantage plan outside of a standard Medicare Enrollment Period. If you have lost Medicaid coverage after being dual-eligible, if your Medicare Advantage provider in Michigan doesn’t perform a contract renewal with Medicare, if you move to another state or if you’re in other similar situations, you can use an SEP to get covered.
Best Types of Medicare Advantage Plans in Michigan for 2020
These are the most popular Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) that you can choose from after you are enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B:
PPO Preferred Provider Organization Plans (PPO) in Michigan
- Has network restrictions
- Allows you to see a doctor or go to a hospital outside of your insurance company’s network if you want
- If you stick to in-network doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers, you’ll pay less
- Referrals are not necessary
HMO Health Maintenance Organization Plans (HMO) in Michigan
- Monthly premiums are often lowest with these Medicare Part C policies than with any other type of Medicare Advantage plan in Michigan.
- Some have $0 premium, so you pay nothing for coverage.
- You’ll be required to see in-network providers. There are exceptions in emergency situations.
- You’ll be required to get specialist referrals from your primary care doctor (PCP)
Private Fee-for-Service PFFS in Michigan
- With these private plans, the insurance company will determine how much it pays and how much you will pay
- There are no network restrictions with these health plans
Special Needs Plans SNPs in Michigan
- Special Needs Plans are designed for people with chronic health conditions or institutional conditions, such as end-stage renal disease ESRD.
- Medicare Part D prescription drug plans are always included.
Enrollment Figures for Michigan Medicare Advantage Plans
- The five largest counties in Michigan are Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Kent, and Genesee.
- There were 2,064,706 Medicare beneficiaries in Michigan in 2018.
- 762,932 of Medicare beneficiaries in Michigan were enrolled in Medicare Advantage in 2018.
Do Medicare Advantage Plans in Michigan for 2020 Cover Prescription Drugs?
Nowadays, when you shop for rates for Medicare Advantage plans in Michigan, you’ll probably see that many of them include Medicare Advantage prescription drug plans as a part of their rates. If you become a beneficiary of one of these plans, you don’t have to buy a stand-alone prescription drug plan.
Like other types of policies, these plans don’t all include the same perks. Make sure that you check out the formulary (covered drug list) and the prescription drug tiers to make sure that you’re buying coverage that will pay for your important medications.
Network Restrictions for Medicare Advantage Plan in Michigan
Be aware of these potential network/service area restrictions:
- In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Within Coverage Area: HMO Medicare Advantage plans in Michigan and PPO Medicare Advantage plans both cover out-of-network care in emergency situations. An HMO will not pay for out-of-network care in other situations, while a PPO will. If you use an out-of-network provider with a PPO, though, your out-of-pocket expenses will be higher
- Traveling With Plan: With both health maintenance organization HMO plans or preferred provider organization PPO plans, emergency care is covered throughout the United States when you’re traveling. With a PPO, you can take advantage of out-of-network help even outside of emergency situations, although your costs will be higher.
- Moving Across State Lines: Medicare Part A and Part B offer the same benefits in all 50 states, but Medicare Advantage policies are different. With Medicare Part C in Michigan, you will need to change plans if you move.
Added Benefits of Medicare Advantage Plan in Michigan for 2020
Talk to your insurance agent; some of these perks might be included in your plan:
- Hearing care, routine vision, and dental care
- Wellness programs
- Silver Sneakers or other similar gym membership
- Recommendations for diet and nutrition
- Allowance for over-the-counter medication costs
- Healthy living seminars and classes
- Transportation to and from medical appointments
- Payment of some or all of the Medicare Part B premium
- Starting in 2020, insurance companies that provide Medicare Advantage plans in Michigan will be able to add some supplemental non-health related benefits to certain beneficiaries, such as providing help with making structural changes to the home when needed. This is designed to help those who might need help with widening doorways or installing ramps for their homes.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services approved a 2.53% payment increase to Medicare insurers that offer Medicare Advantage plans in Michigan.
Top Companies offering Medicare Part C Plans in Michigan for 2020
With our helpful website tool, we have helped Michigan residents from all across the state, including from these big cities and many smaller areas as well:
- Grand Rapids
- Sterling Heights
While assisting local just like you in finding the proper Medicare Advantage plan in Michigan, we have researched many companies. These are the ones that stick out as offering the best coverage:
2020 Michigan Medicare Resources
These resources can help you when you first sign up for Medicare. You may find that you qualify for extra help, too, if you’re a low-income individual: