Best Medicare Advantage Plans in Montana for 2020
If you’re worried about paying for the coinsurance, copayments (copays) and deductibles that go along with Original Medicare, you might be hoping to enroll in one of the best Medicare Advantage plans in Montana (Medicare Part C). As you might already know, signing up for one of the Medicare Advantage plans in Montana for 2020 during your Medicare Advantage Enrollment Period can help you enjoy many benefits and a lot of savings.
Naturally, picking a Medicare Advantage plan in Montana to enhance your Medicare coverage is an important decision. We’re here to make that health insurance decision a little easier for you to make. Our licensed insurance agents are here to help, and you can use our website to look for Medicare plans — from Medicare Advantage to Medicare Supplement insurance — that will reduce your health care costs and help you enhance your Medicare benefits.
Overview of the Best Medicare Advantage Plans in Montana for 2020
If you’d like a replacement policy for Medicare, Medicare Advantage plans in Montana are often best. Learn more about these policies and shop for the best rates right here on our website today.
Best Medicare Advantage Plans in Montana: When Can You Enroll?
After you’re signed up for Original Medicare, you’ll probably be ready to sign up for MA as soon as you can. These are the applicable periods when you can sign up after you’re enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B:
- Medicare Initial Coverage Election Period ICEP: When you become a beneficiary of Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B, you can sign up for MA.
- Medicare Annual Election Period AEP: Each year from October 15 to December 7, you have the opportunity to sign up for, disenroll or change your Medicare Advantage policy in Montana for 2020.
- Medicare Advantage Disenrollment Period MADP: At one time, this was the period when you could disenroll from a Medicare Advantage plan and go back to Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B).
- Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period MA OEP: Starting in 2019, this period runs from January 1 to March 31st every year. This is another period when you can make changes to Medicare Advantage.
- Medicare Special Election Periods SEP: If you’re in a situation when you need to shop for a policy outside of a standard Medicare Enrollment Period, an SEP might be triggered. If you lose your Medicaid after being dual-eligible at some point, for example, an SEP will be triggered. You may also fall into an SEP if your insurance company doesn’t complete its contract renewal with Medicare, if you lose your coverag through your employer, if you move or if you are dealing with other certain circumstances.
Best Types of Medicare Advantage Plans in Montana
When you’re enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B (Original Medicare) and are ready to become a beneficiary, it’s best to compare rates, pros and cons for these different popular types of Medicare Part C policies in Montana for 2020:
PPO Preferred Provider Organization Plans (PPO) in Montana
- Your policy will have a network.
- You can go to a hospital or see a doctor outside of your insurance company’s network if you want to.
- You will pay less in out-of-pocket expenses if you stick to in-network doctors, hospitals and other healthcare providers.
- No referrals are necessary
HMO Health Maintenance Organization Plans (HMO) in Montana
- These are the Medicare Part C plans in Montana with the cheapest monthly premiums.
- A policy with $0 premium might be available.
- Other than in emergency situations, you will be required to see in-network providers.
- For the required referrals, you must go through your primary care doctor (PCP).
Private Fee-for-Service PFFS in Montana
- These private plans determine how much you pay and how much the insurance company pays
- There are no networks or network restrictions
Special Needs Plans SNPs in Montana
- People with chronic health conditions or institutional conditions, such as end stage renal disease ESRD, sign up for Special Needs Plans
- Because of federal government requirements, Medicare Part D prescription drug plans are always included in this type of Medicare Advantage plan.
Enrollment Figures for Montana Medicare Advantage Plans
You may find these enrollment figures about Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B) and Medicare Advantage plans in Montana to be pretty interesting:
- The five largest counties in Montana are Yellowstone, Missoula, Gallatin, Flathead and Cascade.
- There were 227,477 Medicare beneficiaries in Montana in 2018.
- 39,140 of Medicare beneficiaries in Montana were enrolled in Medicare Advantage in 2018.
How Do Medicare Advantage Plans in Montana Cover Prescription Drugs?
Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B do not cover prescription drugs. None of the Medicare Supplement plans (Medigap) cover them, either.
Medicare Advantage plans alone do not provide prescription drug coverage, but many include Medicare Advantage prescription drug plans that do. How much the Part D plan that comes with your Medicare Advantage plan will cover will vary from company to company and policy to policy, so check the formulary and prescription drug tiers list for more information before signing up. Doing this little bit of research when you compare plans will help you make the best decision.
Also, if you don’t sign up for one of these policies, you do have the option to sign up for stand-alone prescription drug coverage through a Medicare prescription drug plan (Medicare Part D plan) so that you’ll be covered.
Network Restrictions for Medicare Advantage Plan in Montana?
Even though many people do prefer Medicare Advantage plans, there are some concerns about network restrictions. This is a quick guide to how provider networks work with the most popular types of Medicare Advantage plans for 2020:
- In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Within Coverage Area: HMO Medicare Advantage plans and PPO Medicare Advantage plans both cover out-of-network care in emergency situations. An HMO will not pay for out-of-network care in non-emergency situations at all. Out-of-pocket expenses are higher if you use an out-of-network service area doctor or hospital with a PPO, although your insurance company will still pay.
- Traveling With Plan: With both health maintenance organization HMO plans or preferred provider organization PPO plans, you don’t have to worry about emergency care not being covered if you need to see a doctor or go to a hospital while traveling. If it’s not emergency care, though, an HMO will not cover it. Your PPO will, with added costs.
- Moving Across State Lines: No major changes have to be made with Medicare Part A and Part B alone when you move; you just have to update your address. Your current Medicare Part C plan in Montana probably will not work when you move to a different state, so you’ll need to sign up for a different plan. An SEP should be triggered to give you this opportunity.
Added Benefits of the Best Medicare Advantage Plan in Montana for 2020
Your Medicare Advantage plan might include some or all of these benefits, depending on the policy that you sign up for and the company that you purchase your policy from. When you compare policies, these are some of the best perks that you might want to look for:
- Hearing care, routine vision and dental care
- Wellness programs
- Silver Sneakers or other similar gym membership
- Recommendations for diet and nutrition
- Allowance for over-the-counter medication costs
- Healthy living seminars and classes
- Transportation to and from medical appointments
- Payment of some or all of the Medicare Part B premium
Here are a few changes for 2020:
- Starting in 2020, insurance companies that provide Medicare Advantage plans in Montana will be able to add some supplemental non-health related benefits to certain beneficiaries, such as providing help with making structural changes to the home when needed. This is designed to help those who might need help with widening doorways or installing ramps for their homes.
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services approved a 2.53% payment increase to Medicare insurers that offer Medicare Advantage plans in Montana.
Top Providers for Medicare Advantage Plans in Montana for 2020
In any case, these are likely to be significant providers of Medicare Part C Plans in Montana that you may want to compare:
- Montana Blue Cross: Apparently, there are multiple Blue Cross and Blue Shield affiliates in Montana. These affiliates have 81 percent of the total enrollment for Medicare Advantage plan in Montana. Blue Cross HMOs and PPOs in Montana have earned relatively good star ratings.
- Humana: Humana offers a GoldPlus regular and extraordinary needs plan that has received high star ratings in the state for quality.
- Other notable providers to look for in your area are Aetna and Cigna.
At this time, there weren’t any local Medicare Advantage plans with a 5-star rating for quality from Medicare. This could change during Open Enrollment, so it’s important to keep an eye on 2020 Medicare Part C plans. A 5-star rating is the highest quality rating, but it’s difficult to earn. CMS publishes star ratings for each plan in each county, and these are based upon information like customer service, billing, wellness care, and so on.
Montana Medicare Resources
If you’re going to be eligible for Medicare soon and want to learn more about Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B, these resources can help. They can also help you find extra help if you have a low income.
- Montana State Health and Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
- Montana Medicare 101 and Extra Help
- CMS: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
We can also help, particularly if you’re shopping for Medicare insurance health plans that will help you save on out-of-pocket costs in a doctor’s office, hospital, skilled nursing facility and more. We can example your Medigap policy options and Medicare Advantage options so that you can decide if Medigap plans or Medicare Advantage are right for you. Then, we’ll help you shop for rates from private insurance companies with top star ratings like Blue Cross Blue Shield. Give us a call or make use of our website today so that we can help!