Best Medicare Supplement Plans in Virginia
Medicare Supplement plans in Virginia work with Original Medicare to cover outstanding medical expenses like copayments, coinsurance, and excess charges. In exchange for reasonable monthly premiums, Medicare Supplement insurance plans provide peace of mind by ensuring beneficiaries can afford to seek medical attention when needed.
Not every Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Virginia will cover all out-of-pocket costs. At the very least, beneficiaries will still pay the Medicare Part B deductible out of pocket each year. Most plans do cover the Part A deductible.
Medigap insurance is offered by private health insurance companies authorized by the federal Medicare program.
Most popular Medicare Supplement Plans in Virginia
The best Medicare Supplement plan varies from one beneficiary to another. The right plan will reduce the number of medical expenses, giving the beneficiary peace of mind and easy access to medical care. There are five Medigap insurance policies that work well for most Medicare beneficiaries.
Best for Full Coverage: Medicare Supplement Plan F
- Medicare Plan F is unobtainable for beneficiaries with a Medicare effective date on or after 1/1/2020 due to eligibility limitations
- The only Medigap plan in Virginia that covers the deductible for Medicare Part B in addition to the Medicare Part A deductible
- The most comprehensive Supplement plan available
Best Comprehensive Coverage: Medicare Supplement Plan G
- Medicare Plan G covers all out-of-pocket costs except the Part B deductible
- Great value for beneficiaries qualified for Medicare Plan F
- Most comprehensive plan for beneficiaries not qualified for Plan F
Best Value: Medicare Supplement Plan N
- Medicare Plan N requires doctor’s office copayments of up to $20 per visit
- Requires emergency room visit copays of up to $50 per visit (waived upon admittance)
- Lower premiums than Medicare Plans G and F
Best Deductible Plan: High Deductible Plan F
- Provides the same coverage as Plan F but with a much higher deductible
- Significantly lower premiums than original Plan F
Best for Lowest Premiums: High Deductible Plan G
- Significantly lower premiums than original Plan G
- Offers same coverage as original Plan G but with a much higher deductible
Medicare Supplement Insurance cost in Virginia
Pricing for each Medicare Supplement insurance plan in Virginia will vary, depending on a variety of personal factors and the chosen insurer.
|Plan Type||Premium Range|
When can I apply for a Medicare Supplement plan?
Timing is critical if you want to get the lowest rates for your Medigap plan in Virginia. The Medicare Annual Election Period is only for Part D prescription drug plans and Medicare Advantage plans, so it doesn’t apply to Medicare Supplement plan enrollment.
Virginia beneficiaries have the following options when extending their Medicare benefits with a Medicare Supplement plan:
1. Medigap Open Enrollment Period
- Lasts for six months after you enroll in Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B and are at least 65 years old
- Guaranteed issue rights prevent the Medicare insurance company from refusing you coverage or increasing your rates due to pre-existing conditions
2. Special Enrollment Periods
- Special access to Medigap insurance enrollment with unlimited plan options
- Guaranteed issue rights prevent private insurance companies from using medical underwriting to determine rates
- Guaranteed acceptance into any of the Medigap policies available in your zip code
3. On-Demand Enrollment
If your open enrollment period has passed and you don’t qualify for special enrollment, you can still apply without guaranteed issue rights. That means the insurer will use medical underwriting to determine your monthly premium and may deny you coverage for any reason.
When can I change Medigap plans?
It’s important to compare Medicare coverage with all Virginia Medigap plans before enrolling because you may not have an opportunity to change plans. Medicare Supplement plans automatically renew every year, and there is no open period to make changes.
The insurance company will use medical underwriting if you want to switch plans outside of your open enrollment period. If you want to change plans and your open enrollment period is still open, you can make the change without penalty.
Follow these steps if you want to change Medigap plans in Virginia outside of the open enrollment period:
- Apply for the new insurance policy to see if they will offer you the plan you desire.
- If accepted to the new plan with a monthly premium you can afford, pay for your first month of coverage.
- You can pay for your old plan one more month to secure your 30-day “free-look” period, which allows you to consider a new plan without giving up your old plan.
- If you want to keep the new plan, notify your old insurance provider and request that your old coverage end.
If you give your old plan up immediately, you cannot go back to it without re-applying and going through medical underwriting. You could end up with higher rates due to your current health condition or pre-existing conditions. It’s worth paying for both plans for one month to secure that free-look period.
Can I be denied Medigap coverage?
Your guaranteed issue rights ensure your enrollment in the plan of your choice as long as you apply within your open enrollment period or a special enrollment period. If you apply any other time, the insurer has the right to deny coverage.
Ready to Learn More?
We help educate Medicare beneficiaries on their Medigap options and help them go through the process of reviewing and comparing plans. We work with most of the nations top-rated Medigap carriers such as Aetna, Cigna, Mutual of Omaha and Florida Blue Medicare plans. Give us a call today, or request a quote online to learn more about Aetna Medicare Supplement plan G and Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplement plan G in your state. We educate you on the best Medicare Plans for your situation, then let you decide.
Virginia State Links
Virginia Medicare Resources
- Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program – information and money-saving resources regarding Original Medicare and Medigap plans, including free webinars and educational podcasts
- Virginia Annual Wellness Visits – free annual wellness checkups for all seniors enrolled in Medicare
- Medicare Supplement plans in Virginia allow beneficiaries to reduce out-of-pocket costs while enhancing their health care coverage.
- There are 10 Medicare Supplement Plans in Virginia to choose from.
- In Virginia, Medicare Supplement Plan G is the most popular plan for 2022.